Apparently people here celebrate the American mother's day more. It's apparent in the blatant commercialisation of the day on tv, news and any media which supports advertisement. Hotels and almost all eating establishments offer mother's day packages and buffet lunches. As tempting as it sounds, I am a boring person and I stopped celebrating these 'special days' years ago. Plus the husband who is currently attached to me has high moral principals on pampering his wifey on these occasions. Not that I get flowers everyday mind you...
Thus we ended up forcing Papa to cook us a spaghetti lunch which was actually turned out to be a very tasty one. The rest of the day was spent with the kids when they were awake. Curly had her joy ride on the scooter and was a little traumatised when she witnessed her Papa falling off his big motorbike. She was so concerned about him, bless her heart...
We also prepared a little BBQ and planned to dine under the stars. But before that, Papa and I took our respective two wheeled transportation for a spin and ended up at a friend's place down the road. It was probably the first time for me to ride out that far on a 50cc scooter so imagine what it was like for me riding on the less than smooth road surface going over 60km. It was scary but FUN! However when we left, Papa had the misfortune of AGAIN tipping over the big bike and this time, it was a little bit more serious than the previous tipping over. Thank god nothing was broken, bones wise and gate wise, but Papa's knee was seriously scraped and up till now, it's still bloody and unsightly. At least he's alright. If anything, his ego was more bruised than anything else. The funny thing was that he wasn't even showing off!
Anyway, we got home okay and the kids were begging us for a swim under the moonlight. We conceded defeat almost immediately even though Curly is just recovering from a bout of fever. It's okay, we have a lot of very good medication for children. Grandma was of course stressing over her home help. I was trying to stay calm but it's really quite hard not to be affected by a very stressed mommy. It seems Mother's day was turning a little sour. But noooo. The kids have a magical effect over loosening tension and Grandma calmed down as soon as we sat down to consume our BBQ ed meats.
The meal turned out to be better than I thought it would be because both grandparents decided to join us dining alfresco. It was a very, very warm night and I was sweating buckets and the mosquitos dining off our legs couldn't be happier but it was great. We had an impromptu family night amidst the discomfort and the kids enjoyed eating out in the garden.
On another note, our restaurant owner friends celebrated their 5th year of their dining establishment today. I can't believe it myself. I left just under 5 years ago for Geneva and now I'm settling back home again and their restaurant is still growing stronger each day. It felt like only yesterday we were consuming iced lime drinks in MJ...


No comments:
Post a Comment